masthead_preservation

Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway Museum

tag_quote

In an age when railroads meant prosperity, thrifty New Englanders decided any railroad was better than none. The result was a group of railroads virtually unique to Maine. To reduce costs, the tracks were built with rails so close together a pair of size 12 shoes set "heel-to-toe" could span the distance. At their zenith, these lines operated over 200 miles of track, ran dozens of locomotives, carried thousands of passengers, and hauled countless tons of freight. The last line closed in 1943. Most of the lines became the victims of competition with trucks. These railroads, built to the gauge of just two feet, were cheaper to build than the "standard gauge" railroads of four foot, eight and one-half inches. This means that the "Two-Footers" are less than half the size of their standard gauge counterparts, and that all the earthworks and components used to build the railroad could be smaller and less expensive. However small these dimunitive railroads were, they worked just as hard if not harder than their larger bretheren, right up until the end.

James C. Patten, W. W. & F. Railway Museum

wwf_state Formed in 1989, the Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway Museum is a non-profit organization established to acquire, preserve, and restore the operation of narrow gauge railroads and equipment which operated in the Sheepscot Valley in coastal Maine. The museum includes a station, shop complex, and several miles of restored narrow gauge mainline. WW&F #9 - an original Maine two-foot steamer - has undergone extensive restoration and is now in service, and the museum also utilizes a restored Louisiana plantation locomotive to power its tourist trains.

Maine's Wiscasset, Waterville, and Farmington (WW&F) Railway was a two-foot "narrow" gauge common carrier railroad that operated from 1894 until 1933. The line ran from Wiscasset in the south, to Albion and Winslow in the north, never making it to either Waterville or Farmington. The Great Depression brought about the railroad's scrapping in 1937.

HawkinsRails thanks Virginia railfan friend Tom Ledford for use of his WW&F museum images on this page

museum map / collection

WWFR map / collection

Motive Power

Wiscasset, Waterville, & Farmington #9

  • builder:Portland Company, Maine
  • arrangement:0-4-4 Forney four-coupled
  • built:1891, Portland #622
  • fuel:coal/water
  • notes:
  • blt Sandy River Railroad #5
    to Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes #6
    to Kennebec Central #4, 1924
    to Wiscasset, Waterville, & Farmington #9
  • Wiscasset, Waterville, & Farmington #10

  • builder:Vulcan Iron Works
  • arrangement:0-4-4 Forney four-coupled
  • built:1904, Vulcan #574
  • fuel:coal/water
  • notes:
  • blt for Louisiana sugar cane work, 1904
    to Edaville Railroad, 1958
    to Maine Narrow Gauge Rwy Museum, 1991
    to WW&F Rwy Museum, circa 1999
  • Rolling Stock

    Locations

    Lagniappe

    Video

    Alna Center, Me / Jul 2006 / RWH

    Links / Sources

    This page was updated on 2017-07-27