legacy page
New responsive screen layout coming soon!

hawkinsrails.net / mainlines / cg

Central of Georgia

The Central Rail Road and Canal Company was organized in 1833 by a group of Savannah businessmen who were concerned that Charleston's new railroad to Augusta would bring a loss of shipping business for their port. Construction of their new line began in late 1835. Meanwhile the company decided to go into the banking business to attract capital investment in the railroad. To better reflect its new interests it changed its name to Central Rail Road and Banking Company of Georgia.

Georgia Railroad History and Heritage

Chartered in 1833, the original Central of Georgia Railway would over the years acquire over 25 other regional pikes before creating a rail network from Chattanooga to Savannah and from Montgomery through Columbus to Atlanta. The CofG would be controlled by both the Illinois Central and the Frisco before finally being acquired by the Southern Railway in 1963. The Southern changed the name to the Central of Georgia Railroad and merged the line with the Savannah & Atlanta and the Wrightsville & Tennille. The CofG exists today as a paper division of the modern Norfolk Southern.

Central of Georgia system map

1955 system map

Links / Sources