legacy page
New responsive screen layout coming soon!

hawkinsrails.net / shortlines / sg

South Georgia Railway

Georgia shortline

Incorporated in 1896, the South Georgia Railroad opened a 28-mile shortline railroad between Heartpine and Quitman, Georgia, in March 1897. A 23-mile extension from Quitman to Greenville, Florida, opened in October 1901. In 1902 the South Georgia leased the West Coast Railway of Florida which was chartered to build a line from Greenville to Perry, Florida. The combined railroads changed the name to South Georgia & West Coast Railway, however this name was soon dropped in a reorganization and the railroad was officially renamed the South Georgia Railway. A 26-mile Greenville to Perry extension was completed in 1904, and the line’s northern terminus was moved a few miles northward from Heartpine to Adel. The railroad's general offices were in Quitman. In 1971 the South Georgia merged with the Live Oak, Perry & Gulf Railroad to form the Live Oak, Perry & South Georgia Railway, running from Adel to Perry. It was owned and operated by the Southern Railway.

See also our complete Live Oak, Perry & Gulf Railroad shortline collection
sg_map
HawkinsRails thanks railfan friend Russell Tedder for use of his SG photos and descriptions

Links / Sources

This page was updated on 2016-09-17