hawkinsrails.net / shortlines / pnw

Prescott & Northwestern Railroad

The primary traffic carried by the Prescott and Northwestern was forest products, but for a number of years the line also carried an extensive crop of Elberta peaches from Highland (Pike County) to Prescott during the fruit harvesting season. At Prescott, the refrigerator cars of fruit shipments were transferred to the Missouri Pacific Railroad to northern markets.

Wikipedia

Arkansas shortline

Chartered in 1890, the Prescott & Northwestern Railroad lived up to its name by eventually building 31 miles of timber trackage northwest from Prescott as far as Highland, Arkansas. Primary commodities on the line were forest products and cement, but for a time the PNW shipped loads of Elberta peaches. Passenger service ended in 1945, and freight service on the mainline ended in 1980. Today the PNW is owned by the Potlatch Corporation and operates 5 miles of switching trackage around the Prescott sawmills, interchanging with the Union Pacific.

Links / Sources