hawkinsrails.net / shortlines / fp

Fordyce & Princeton Railroad

Arkansas shortline

Incorporated in 1890, the original Fordyce & Princeton Railroad was a 10-mile narrow gauge line from Fordyce to Toan, Arkansas. Eventually made standard gauge, the line would grow to nearly 20 miles at its peak, but by the early 1960s it was reduced to a 1 mile switching line at Fordyce. In 1981, however, the company acquired the recently abandoned Rock Island's 52 mile line southeast to Crossett, entering the industry-laden mill area on trackage rights from Whitlow Junction. Along with the now-abandoned Ashley, Drew & Northern, the F&P was owned by Georgia Pacific from 1963 to 2004, when it was purchased by the Genesee & Wyoming shortline operator.

See also our Ashley, Drew & Northern Railway collection, sister Georgia Pacific shortline

Links / Sources