legacy page
New responsive screen layout coming soon!

hawkinsrails.net / shortlines / cagy / whitcombs

Columbus & Greenville Railway

Whitcomb Switchers

Two years after the first Baldwin road switchers arrived on the property, the Columbus & Greenville purchased two small switchers built by the Whitcomb Locomotive Works to supplement its switching power. Originally the George D. Whitcomb Company of Rochelle, Illinois, by the time the C&G's two switchers were built in 1944, Whitcomb had become a division of the Baldwin Locomotive Works. Slightly offbeat in the world of deep south motive power, the two Delta Route units nevertheless represented a typical post-war domestic Whitcomb model, each classed at 65 tons.

Links / Sources