masthead_preservation
Featured Tourist

Oil Creek & Titusville Railroad

"Through the valley that changed the world"

tag_quote

vintage_oil In the beginning, there wasn't much ... only 13.5 miles of double ribbons of rusty rail; not good enough for Conrail to use, and buried beneath the brush and fallen trees. In 1982, two local groups were planning to purchase the track, one for recreational use and the other to continue the freight connection for Titusville area industry. These two groups came together in 1983 to form the Oil Creek Railway Historical Society and purchased the track, buildings, and real estate on June 6, 1986. July 18, 1986, saw the inaugural excursion of the OC&T train, utilizing cars leased from several railway historical societies, individuals and museums. That first year saw over 33,950 passengers! Friends of the Railroad (FORR), the official support group of the society, was organized in 1986 with fifty charter members. Proceeds of the membership campaigns are used for projects to benefit the OC&T.

Oil Creek & Titusville Railroad

octl_state The Oil Creek & Titusville Railroad is a seasonal tourist operation making use of a former Conrail branchline now owned by local interests who organized into the Oil Creek Railway Historical Society in the early 1980s when the line was up for abandonment. The historical society contracts with shortline operator Oil Creek & Titusville Lines to operate the passenger excursions and service the equipment, also to handle the modest freight business still in Titusville. Passengers on the tourist trains depart Titusville and travel to Rouseville (north of Oil City) and back through the Oil Creek State Park -- an area devoted to the history of crude oil discovery and production, the first in the United States. OCTR makes use of vintage Alco motive power and a fleet of former communter passenger cars.

See also our Oil Creek & Titusville Lines companion page in Shortlines
octr_parkmap

Oil Creek State Park map / web

Motive Power

Oil Creek & Titusville #75

  • builder:American Locomotive Co.
  • model:S-2
  • type:B-B yard switcher
  • built:Mar 1947, ALCO #74973
  • series:1502 produced 1940-50
  • engine:ALCO 539T (6 cyl, 1000 hp)
  • notes:
  • ex New York & Lake Erie #75
    ex South Buffalo #75
    on lease to Oil Creek & Titusville
  • builder

    Oil Creek & Titusville #85

  • builder:American Locomotive Co.
  • model:S-2
  • type:B-B yard switcher
  • built:Mar 1950, ALCO #77060
  • series:1502 produced 1940-50
  • engine:ALCO 539T (6 cyl, 1000 hp)
  • notes:
  • to Oil Creek Railway Historical Soc, 1999
    normally standby locomotive
  • builder

    Oil Creek & Titusville Lines #3568

  • builder:Montreal Locomotive Works
  • model:M420W
  • type:B-B road switcher
  • built:1977, MLW #M6092-09
  • series:92 produced 1973-77
  • engine:MLW 251C (12 cyls, 2000 hp)
  • notes:
  • ex St. Thomas & Eastern
    ex Canadian National #3568
  • builder

    Rolling Stock

    tag_quote

    Built by Pullman in 1930 as electric-powered commuter cars for the Lackawanna Railroad, these cars (below) were used around Hoboken, NJ, until 1986. They are solid steel, with the only wood being window sills and mahogany arm rests. Their electrical systems have been completely redone to modern standards. The concrete floors maintain a low center of gravity for safety. The 'walkover' seats allow passengers to always face forward, or sit in groups of four. We have completely refurbished their interiors. Two (#59 and #61) have 20-KW generators to provide power to our train. The number and name of each coach are keyed to significant people in the history of the "valley that changed the world."

    Oil Creek & Titusville Railroad

    tag_quote

    Our Railroad Post Office, or RPO, (below) is the only one currently operating in the United States. Built in 1927, it originally ran on the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad as their #68. It then went to the Bangor & Aroostook as their #570 and in 1989 was donated to us by Andrew Merrilees LTD, a Canadian locomotive rebuilder. When it first arrived in Titusville, it was so rusted you could see straight though it from the outside. Thanks to our volunteers, with a grant from the John Nesbit Rees and Sarah Henne Reese Charitable Foundation, it was beautifully restored.

    Oil Creek & Titusville Railroad

    tag_quote

    Our First Class car (below) was purchased in 2005 from the Lake Shore Railway Historical Society. Built by American Car & Foundry for the Wabash Railroad in 1925, it ran as a First Class car on the fames Wabash Cannonball Special. Rebuilt with sealed windows and air conditioning in 1946, it was acquired by the Norfolk & Western Railway via merger, and continued in service until the early 1960's when it was donated to LSRHS. The interior is original per its 1940's rebuild, with long distance reclining Sleepy Hollow seats, luggage rack lights and mohair upholstery.

    Oil Creek & Titusville Railroad

    Originally an express refrigerator car c. 1940, its number refers to the date Edwin L Drake struck oil, August 27, 1859. It had been converted to a flatcar and was being used in the GE locomotive works in Erie, PA, to move locomotive frames around the plant. GE's East Erie Commercial Railroad gave it to us in 1990. We promptly put in a new floor and oak sides. In good weather, up to 100 passengers can be found viewing the beautiful scenery and searching for bald eagles and other wildlife in the Oil Creek State Park from our gondola car.

    OCTR

    Caboose #10 was built in 1913 for the Elgin, Joliet and Eastern Railroad, and later it served as the executive car for the Lake Erie, Franklin and Clarion Railroad.

    OCTR

    tag_pinLocations

    Titusville, Pa

    Click to see the Perry Street Station plotted on a Google Maps page

    Drake Well, Pa

    Click to see Drake Well depot area plotted on a Google Maps page
    octr_drake1 octr_drake2

    Drake Well, Pa / Jul 2008 / RWH

    Petroleum Center, Pa

    Click to see the Petroleum Center depot plotted on a Google Maps page

    Rynd Farm, Pa

    Click to see the Rund Farm depot area plotted on a Google Maps page

    Collections

    tag_lagnLagniappe

    OC&T OC&T

    Oil Salesman

    Drake Well, Pa / Jul 2008 / RWH

    Links / Sources

    This page was updated on 2017-08-17