legacy page
New responsive screen layout coming soon!

hawkinsrails.net / preservation / triangle

Fostoria Iron Triangle

Fostoria, named for Charles Foster, was formed in 1854 when the villages of Rome and Risdon officially united. It was also the year the Fremont and Indiana Railroad began laying track for its line that originated in Fremont and passed through Fostoria and Findlay on its way to Indiana. In 1872 the Chesapeake and Ohio completed the section of track that ran through Fostoria. The C&O ran between Columbus and Toledo and was principally a coal hauler but by 1877 the C&O was running four passenger trains a day in both directions. On July 22 1873 the Baltimore & Ohio line reached Fostoria on its way to Chicago from the eastern seaboard and in the 1880's two more railroads came through Fostoria. The New York Chicago and St Louis better know as the Nickel Plate was routed through Fostoria in spite of fierce lobbying by Norwalk. The last railroad to come to town was the new York Central, originally known as the Atlantic & Lake Erie Road.

Fostoria - A City Built on Rails

Ohio railspot

The Fostoria Iron Triangle is a dedicated municipal railpark situated among three active mainlines and their respective interlocking crossings, operated by two Class 1 carriers -- Norfolk Southern and CSX Transportation. Located in a town rich with railroad history, the park is bracketed by former Nickel Plate, Baltimore & Ohio, and Chesapeake & Ohio thoroughfares. The current site features a railfan shelter with a live scanner feed, ample fence-lines for watching the constant flow of trains, and public parking. Norfolk Southern's Blair freight yard is just northwest of the park, and several historic railroad buildings dot the community.

Railroad map from Railfan Guide to Fostoria and Vistor Center plan from Fostoria Railpark

Links / Sources

This page was updated on 2016-02-16