legacy page
New responsive screen layout coming soon!

hawkinsrails.net / preservation / cvsx

logoCuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad

For thousands of years Indians used the Cuyahoga River and Valley in northern Ohio as a north-south transportation corridor. Later the Ohio and Erie Canal provided the early settlers a slow, but easy way to move bulk goods and people. In 1880, the first steam engine chugged its way down the new Valley Railway, signaling an era of progress and prosperity for the Cuyahoga Valley residents. Primarily built to transport coal; from south of Canton to Cleveland's growing industries, the Valley Railway also served the farmers, merchants and factories along its route. Depots piled high with farm produce dotted the valley section of the railroad line.

Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad

Ohio tourist hauler

The Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad operates a section of former Baltimore & Ohio trackage in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, southeast of Cleveland, Ohio. Original rails in the valley date back to before 1900, including the Cleveland Terminal & Valley Railroad, but by 1915 the line was owned and operated by the B&O. Passenger service ended in the early 1960s, and the line was operated in freight service by successor Chessie System until 1985. Today's Cuyahoga Valley Scenic provides seasonal tourist train service up and down the line using a variety of well-maintained first generation Alco power and single-level streamline passenger equipment. Online shops maintain the equipment.

Links / Sources