legacy page
New responsive screen layout coming soon!

hawkinsrails.net / mainlines / nogn

New Orleans Great Northern Railroad

The New Orleans Great Northern, like the Meridian & Memphis, the Jackson & Eastern, most of the Gulf, Mobile & Northern, and countless other segments of railroads in Mississippi, was built for the primary, purpose of serving as a lumber hauling road. There was one great difference, however, between the New Orleans Great Northern and most of these other "logging" roads. The "Nogan" as it was popularly called, was planned, engineered, and built to be a permanent railroad, and its backers seldom had great difficulty in raising funds for construction.

James H. Lemly

The New Orleans Great Northern Railroad was incorporated in Louisiana and Mississippi in 1905 by the owners of the Great Southern Lumber Company -- builders of one of the largest sawmills in the country at the new town of Bogalusa, Louisiana. The NOGN bought the East Louisiana Railway in June of the same year, and was completed from Slidell to Jackson, Mississippi by 1910. Westward branchlines included lines from Rio to Tylertown and Slidell to Covington and Folsom. The Gulf, Mobile & Northern acquired control of the NOGN in 1929, and officially leased the road in 1933.

See also successor Gulf Mobile & Northern and Gulf Mobile & Ohio mainline collections

1913 system map / collection

nogn_time1

1924 timetable / collection

HawkinsRails thanks NOGN aficionado Matt Hardey for use of his collection on this page

Links / Sources

This page was updated on 2016-09-17